Among the several things that Lord Curzon did in India, the hands-down winner is exploration and popularising of a marquee trek route starting from Joshimath to Kuari Pass in the Garhwal Himalayas.
Winter Kauri Pass is At an altitude of 4264 meters, Kuari Top is like an amphitheatre where some of the stalwart peaks of Himalayas take stage. The 7000 meters club includes the Kamet (7756m),Trishul (7120m), Chaukhamba (7128m), and the great divine peak of Nanda Devi (7817m) and its twin Nanda Devi East (7434m). More peaks make an equally imposing appearance – Nanda Ghunti, Hathi Ghoda Parbat, Neelkanth, Dronagiri, Mukut Parbat, Mana, Rishi Pahad, and Changbang, to name a few. The Kuari Pass trek gives you a chance to view this impressive skyline of these mighty mountains from close quarters.The trek begins from Joshimath, in the Chamoli district of Himalayas, which has evolved into the hub for trekkers and pilgrims in this part of the Himalayas. Confluences of several rivers – the Pinder, Kaliganga, Nandakini, Birehiganga & Dhauli Ganga give make up the Pancha-Prayag – namely, Devprayag, Karnaprayag, Devprayag and Rudraprayag. The trek then proceeds through small remote Himalayan villages. Walking along the Curzon trail through these villages is a great way to get acquainted with the life of the mountain folks. The trees are ablaze in the yellow-orange colors of autumn, striking a deep contrast to the blue-brown mountains and the snow caps. On this trek one walks through gorgeous jungles of Oak and Deodar trees. And these jungles, of course, are house to some wildlife. Pug marks of leopards or Himalayan black bears can be sighted in the forests. Rhododendron trees, which bear flowers of a fiery red color, are also found in abundance in these mountains.
The truly refreshing part of the trek is while walking through the luxurious Himalayan meadows, called ‘Bugyals’ in the local tongue. The beauty and serenity of a Himalayan meadow is an experience no one should miss out on. The most remarkable is the Gorson Bugyal, consisting of vast undulating green pastures. On this trek you will also visit Auli, which is famous for its beautiful skiing slopes in the winter.
The trek takes you up and down a few other lesser passes – the Vinayak pass and Tali top, eventually taking you to the highest point in the trek – the Kuari Top at which is at 13990 feet. This trek is not too difficult, and pays huge dividends for the physical effort with the most mesmerising views of some of the best mountains in the Himalayan Range. The sight of the Nanda Devi Massif is the highlight of this trek. So if you want to have some fun in the meadows and on the snowy slopes of the Garhwal Himalayas, pack your rucksacks and head on towards Haridwar. The TTH team will take you on the Curzon Trail to Kuari Pass, while you feast your eyes on the spectacular sights.Brief Itinerary
Day 01: Haridwar to Joshimath (6724 ft) (265km. Drive)
- 1. Drive to Joshimath 256 km
- 2. Haridwar to Rishikesh (best place for white water rafting) (trekking gear available on rent and purchase)
- 3. Rishikesh to Devprayag (confluence of Bhagirathi river and Alaknanda river)
- 4. Devprayag to Srinagar
- 5. Srinagar to Rudrapryag (confluence of Mandakini river and Alaknanda river)
- 6. Rudrapryag to Karnprayag (confluence of Pindar river and Alaknanda river)
- 7. Reach Joshimath by 5:30 pm (evening tea, briefing of the trek, dinner)
- 8. Accommodation in guest house
Day 02: Joshimath (6724 ft) – Chitrakhantha (9600 ft) (12km Drive, 6 km Trek)
- 1. Joshimath to Dhak village (6790 ft) (2163 mtr)(12 km drive)
- 2. Dhak village to Tugasi village (8040 ft) (3 km trek)
- 3. Tugasi village to Gulling village (8990 ft) (2 km trek)
- 4. Gulling village to lower Chitrakhantha camp site (9600 ft) (0.5 km Trek)
- 5. lunch at camp site
- 6. Accommodation in tent
- 7. Peaks :- Dronagri, Hathi Parvat, Gori Parvat
Day 03: Chitrakhantha (9600 ft) to Tali top (11070 ft) (4 km trek)
- 1. Chitrakhantha to forest hut (first and last water point) (9840 ft) (1 km trek)
- 2. Forest hut to Tali top (Tali lake is there, steep ascent ) (11480 ft) (2 km trek)
- 3. Tali top to Tali top forest camp site (gradual descent) (11070 ft) (3540 mtr) (1 km trek)
- 4. Oak, Rhododendron (mostly pink and white), walnut forest
- 5. Accommodation in tent
- 6. Peaks :- Nanda Devi, Kalanka, Chang bang, Dronagri, Hathi Parvat, Gori Parvat
Day 04: Tali top (11070 ft) – Kuari pass (12763 ft) – back to Tali top via Khullara top (11800 ft) (15 km trek)
- 1. Tali top to Khullara top (moderate ascent) (11800 ft) (3.5 km trek)
- 2. Khullara top to broken bridge with frozen stream (traverse walk) (12300 ft) (2.5 km trek)
- 3. broken bridge to kuari pass (Strenuous climb) (12763 ft) (1.5 km trek)
- 4. Today is the toughest day
- 5. Carry enough water (no water source on the way)
- 6. Early morning after breakfast start trek to Kuari pass
- 7. Peaks:- Kedarnath Peak, Kedardome, Chaukhambha, Balakun, Neel Kantha, Mukut Parvat, Kamet, Abhi Gamin, Mana I, Ghori Parvat, Hathi Parvat, Dronagiri, Kalanka, Chang Bang, Nanda Devi, Nanda Ghunti
Day 05: Tali top (11070 ft) – Joshimath (6724 ft) via Gurson bugyal (11150 ft) and Auli (9680 ft) (8 km trek) (13 km drive)
- 1. Tali top camp site to Tali lake (111480 ft) (1 km trek)
- 2. Tali lake to Gurson bugyal (11150 ft) (3.5 km trek)
- 3. Gurson bugyal to Auli (9680 ft) (3.5 km trek)
- 4. Auli to Joshimath (6724 ft) (13 km drive)
- 5. Breakfast at Tali camp site
- 6. Lunch Pack on the way
- 7. Joshimath (evening tea, debriefing, dinner)
Day 06: Joshimath to Haridwar
- 1. Early morning drive back to HaridwarDetailed Itinerary
Day 01: Haridwar to Joshimath (265km. Drive)
Drive to Joshimath 256 km. If you arrive morning Haridwar drive to Joshimath through Devprayag, Srinagar, Rudrapryag, Karnprayag. Breakfast and lunch on the way. Stay in a GMVN rest house.
Day 02: Joshimath – Chitrakhana (12km. Drive, 4 hrs. Trek ).
Early morning breakfast drive to Dhak village (12km). From Dhak we will start the 6 km trek to lower Chitrakhana. The valley opens up after climbing quite steeply to an overhanging cliff which shelters a local deity. The route enters progressively drier terrain, The trek continues to climbs to the village of Tugasi village pack lunch enroute. Dinner & over night in .
Day 03: Chitrakhana to Tali Top.
A strenuous 6km trek (4 hrs) through lush green vegetation, mostly pink and white rhododendron flowers with Mt. Nanda Devi Mt. Doonagiri looming in the distance, makes this trek an exhilarating experience. We will camp in an alpine meadow at the head of the Tali Top which lies on the North Face of Mt. Nanda Devi and Other higher mountains. Overnight stay in tents.
Day 04: Tali top- Khullar- Kuari pass and back to Tali (15kmTrek, 8 hrs)
Today day is long day. Early morning after breakfast start trek to Kuari pass. First one hour is easy and gradual till to the khullar place.After that you will start the climb to khullar top After traversing our way across the snow patch you will reach the Kuari pass top. Now you will get a Jet wind there. Back to camp.
Day 05: Joshimath via Auli (8km, 4hrs.)
En route cross the famous bugyals (meadows) of Gurson and will also get views of the route leading to the famous Nanda Devi sanctuary, along the Rishi Ganga.It is a gradual descent to Auli down through woods and pastures and we meet our car waiting for us at Auli to drive us to Joshimath which, although having none of the elegance of its sister hill resorts, does have a charm and beauty of its own. It is the site where the famous Adiguru Shankaracharya attained enlightenment before beginning his campaign for the unification of India and the revitalization of Hinduism
Day 06: Joshimath to Haridwar
Early morning drive back to Haridwar.
How to Reach
How to Reach
By Air :-
Jolly Grant Airport is the airport serving Dehradun, located about 48 km from the Haridwar. There is a daily flight from Delhi for Dehradun
By Train :-
From Delhi -DDN NZM AC EXPRESS (2205.
From Kolkata- Doon Express (13009)
From Mumbai- Dehradun Express (19019)
From Chennai- Dehardun express (12687)
By Road :-
By road, Haridwar is well connected with major destinations of the country. NH72 connects Haridwar to Nahan (125 km) to the north-west, and thereon to Panchkula, Chandi¬garh and Shimla. NH 72 terminates at Dehardun, which is at 54km from Haridwar. Haridwar is located at a distance of 235 km from Delhi. NH72A links Haridwar to NH58 at Roorkee (35 km) and thereon south to Meerut (170 km) and Delhi (235 km). There is regular bus service from Delhi for Haridwar from Delhi’s ISBT Kashmere Gate.Cost Terms
- Inclusions :-
- 1. Accommodation. (Guest house, Home stay, Camping)
- 2. Meals while on trek (Veg.) (Egg)
- 3. Trek equipments.
- 4. Permits
- 5. First aid medical kits and oxygen cylinder.
- 6. Qualified & experienced trek Leader, Guide and Support staff.
- 7. Transport from Haridwar to Joshimath and return.
- Exclusions :-
- 1. Any kind of personal expenses.
- 2. Food during the transit.
- 3. Insurance.
- 4. Mules or porter to carry personal luggage.
- 5. Anything not specifically mentioned under the head “Price Includes”.
Note : Normally TTH expect to carry your personal luggage on your own, if you don’t want to carry your backpack so you can give it to porter, but you have to informe us in advance and have to pay Rs. 300/- extra per day per bag.
To book a Trek/ adventure program please use our online booking form or, alternatively, you can call us on the given for confirmation of tour you have to wire a deposit and initial deposit.
Paying the Trek/ Adventure activity fee: The fee can be paid by online transfer/check deposit/ demand draft. Instruction for payment will be forwarded along with your confirmation email. When your transfer is done, please e-mail us a confirmation mail with your transfer details, so that we can follow up your reservation efficiently.
When to book: It is wise to make your booking at least two months in advance. However, if you want a good deal on your domestic/international flight, we recommend organising your trip at least five months in advance. (Please contact us if you require a late booking)
In the event of cancellation of trek/adventure activity services due to any avoidable / unavoidable reasons we must be notified of the same in writing. Cancellation charges will be effective from the date we receive advice in writing, and cancellation charges would be as follows: –
Up to 24 Days :- 95% of Trek/adventure program cost will be refund.
Between 14-24 Day :- 70% of Trek/adventure program cost will be refund.
Between 14-10 Days :- 50% of Trek/adventure program cost will be refunded.
Less than 10 Days :- No refund